10 Things You Need To Know About Your Dental Hygienist
Hey Springfield, it may be no surprise that a dental cleaning and continuing care is good for your mouth and overall health.
Did you know your hygienist does more than "just" a dental cleaning for her Springfield patients?
Here are ten things you might not be aware of during your Springfield, MO dental hygienist appointment.
- It's Not Just About Your Teeth If you are like most dental patients, you probably see your dentist more than you see your other physicians. At each routine cleaning, our dental hygienists look at the mouth-body connection. What happens throughout the body impacts your overall oral health. Conversely, your oral health can affect your overall health. Diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, sleep disorders, and stress all impact oral health. Your Smile Doctor hygienists stay on the cutting edge to ensure we look at the big picture of your health rather than just cleaning those pearly whites!
- "Awww," is My Minute Massage Over Now? A head and neck oral cancer screening can be relaxing, but it is probably the most critical part of your visit. Nearly 62,000 people in the US were diagnosed with head and neck cancer in 2015 alone! Your dentist and hygienist can identify any abnormal lumps or bumps during this part of your continuing care. A wide range of cancers can be identified on the face and inside the mouth. Two major risk factors are heavy alcohol consumption and tobacco usage. A referral for a biopsy will be suggested if we notice any changes outside of normal limits.
- It's "Piezo" Not Pizza Our skilled hygienists use high-tech water instruments to clean your teeth during dental cleaning. A Piezo and a Cavitron are types of ultrasonic scalers. Some of our patients affectionately call it the teeth power washer. It has many benefits, and you will first notice that your cleanings go much smoother — no more scraping and picking! The acoustic stream from ultrasonic scalers causes constant water flushing against your teeth. The vibrations happen 25,000 times per second and cause bubbles that produce energy shock waves. This action loosens debris, biofilm, stains, and tartar and blows up bacteria cells. It is more tolerable compared to older dental hygiene techniques such as scaling. You will love your refreshed, clean teeth.
- Delicious Polishing Paste Flavors Everyone has different tastes. We love D-Lish prophy polishing paste. It has a smooth, creamy texture. A few of our requested fun flavors are orange creamsicle, fresh strawberry, mint mojito, and key lime pie. Yum! D-Lish always comes up with new ideas and has over 15 gluten-free flavors. You are guaranteed to find a tasty polishing flavor to suit your palate. Mix it up and try a different flavor at each visit.
- A Real Personal Relationship It is discouraging to walk into any clinic, practice, or office and not feel comfortable with your caregiver or doctor, especially when they are rushed and not engaged with you. Even worse is when they use all those foreign medical and dental terms. Our dental office in Springfield provides outstanding customer service at every turn. Our hygienists can look at their schedule daily and state personal details about everyone they see. She is not just a "tooth scratcher"; she cares about you. She wants to know details about you outside of the dental chair. She will educate you, show you how to use products, and answer any questions. You will always feel appreciated as a new or returning dental patient at our Springfield dental practice.
- Spa-like Amenities Working in the mouth can seem intrusive or intimidating. We understand. We offer many comfort items to make each appointment pleasing and relaxing. You may like to listen to music to tune out noises or snuggle up in a comfy big blanket for warmth. Our dentist and team's favorite is heated scented lemon towels after treatment. Feeling like you are at home and not at the dentist makes for a delightful time.
- You Get a Dental Goodie Bag, You Get a Dental Goodie Bag, YOU Get a Dental Goodie Bag! Walking through the dental aisle at a grocery store can be overwhelming. There are a ton of different products that all help you with the same issue. Then there are the products you think are right for you and don't work. This option overload can make anyone's head spin. Our hygienists do extensive research and compare these products so they can make a recommendation of what would be best for your hygiene needs. Who doesn't like free samples?!
- Painless Laser Therapy Our hygienists made time to train for laser therapy after their degrees to offer this treatment to you. Laser therapy is one of the best ways to help treat periodontal disease, but our lasers help with so many more issues. Did you know we can treat cold sores and aphthous ulcers with a laser!? The pain from the sores is eliminated, and healing time is decreased with just a few short minutes in the chair. The best part of all is that laser therapy is a painless treatment.
- Above and Beyond Continuing Education In Missouri, a hygienist only needs 30 hours of continuing education every two years. Our hygienists average more than double these requirements. Constant studying with Dr. Randi Green at LVI Global, The Breathe Institute, and beyond is one of the main ways she gives you the best treatment available.
- We Use High-Quality H2O This topic might never cross your mind. The water used in every cleaning is distilled water. A dental water line microbial contaminant control tablet is placed in each water bottle for your cleaning. This mighty tablet kills any bacteria that exist and cleans the water lines. Knowing you receive genuine, pure water during your hygiene check-up is encouraging.
Ready to experience personalized 1-on-1 care for your dental health? Schedule your appointment with our dedicated hygienists in Springfield, MO today, and discover the difference comprehensive and tailored dental care can make in your overall health and well-being. Don't wait; your smile deserves the best!